Water and Land Sector
River and Coast Management
As a comprehensive consulting engineering company which has great strengths in relation to rivers and coasts, we offer technical expertise in preparing proposals for river and coast management including preparation of disaster prevention countermeasures against flood/tsunami/storm surge and countermeasures to properly conserve water environments.
We also provide a wide variety of professional consulting services for investigation/analysis/experiment of rivers and coasts, planning/design/operation & maintenance (O&M) works of river structures, and implementation of seismic measures for all types of river structures.
- Proposal of comprehensive countermeasures for disaster prevention and disaster mitigation in rivers and coasts.
- Project planning/experiment/design/O＆M plan of rivers and coasts.
- Proposal of conservation and remediation of the water environment and hydrologic cycle.
- Restoration/creation of waterfront areas by restoring and maintaining river environments.
- Performing evaluations of soundness/aging of existing structures, and formulation of plans to extend the life of river and coastal structures.
Land Erosion Disaster Prevention Works
We provide a series of professional services to prevent landslide disasters including studies on prevention and restoration measures, and planning/experiment/design of land erosion disaster prevention works.
- Designation of warning areas for landslide disaster, formulation of land erosion disaster prevention master plans, and planning/design of land erosion disaster prevention facility layouts.
- Design of countermeasures to extend the service life of land erosion disaster prevention facilities and aging structures.
- Study on a basin monitoring and warning system for large-scale landslide disasters.
- Study on the arrangement and configuration of land erosion disaster prevention facilities by utilizing the results of hydraulic experiments.
We offer comprehensive services in all aspects of dam management including the planning and design of new dams, formulation of effective plans for utilizing existing dams, and preparation of countermeasures to mitigate the environmental impacts caused by dam construction.
- Evaluation of facility soundness based on the latest technologies (e.g. seismic capacity).
- Inspection/evaluation of facilities and their functions, and proposal of a plan to extend the life of structures.
- Proposal of both structural measures such as improvement/expansion of dam facilities (e.g. water discharge facilities and power generation facilities) and non-structural measures such as upgrading the operation plan for water release for improving the functions of dams.
- Proposal of an environmental conservation plan for a dam site including sediment and water quality management plans and fish passage.
Water Supply and Sewerage Management
We aim to reduce the cost of water supply and sewerage management by providing professional services that encompass the design of pipes, drains and related facilities, evaluation of the seismic capacity of related structures, design of aseismic reinforcement works, detection of structural degradation, and formulation of a plan to extend the life of structures.
- Proposal of cost reduction measures aiming to lower the project cost of facility upgrading and O&M cost by consolidating or reorganizing water supply and sewerage facilities as well as widening the service coverage area.
- Proposal of comprehensive countermeasures against inundation by utilizing the results of hydraulic physical models.
- Improvement and enhancement of the water environment by reducing the amount of pollution, effectively utilizing water resources, and purifying contaminated water.
- Proposal of economical and appropriate maintenance works for continuous, long-term sewage service.
- Proposal of effective utilization of sewerage as a resource and energy source.
Harbors and Oceans
We contribute to the development of port and marine infrastructures as well as the formulation of disaster prevention countermeasures against natural disasters such as earthquake and tsunami.
- Proposal of improvement plans for port and marine facilities, and preparation of maintenance management plans to extend the life of structures.
- Verification of the seismic performance of structures, study on rational seismic reinforcement methods, and evaluation of the resistance and performance of port facilities against a large-scale disaster by utilizing the results of tsunami simulation analysis, and proposal of response measures.
Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries
We assist the development of various measures and plans for agricultural water utilization facilities (irrigation and drainage facilities) and fishing facilities, including formulation of disaster prevention measures, implementation of environmental assessments, and preparation of O＆M plans.
- Proposal of countermeasures for disaster prevention and recovery in fishing port facilities as well as mountainous and intermountain areas.
- Planning and design of key facilities such as agricultural water utilization facilities, forest roads and fishing port facilities.
- Evaluation of aging facilities (e.g. reservoirs) and preparation of seismic measures.
- New initiatives for hydroponics at a plant factory.
Transport and Urban Sector
We provide professional services that cover all elements of the evaluation, planning and design of road infrastructure projects based on the current social needs and road traffic conditions, and are committed to constructing safe and reliable roads and implementing O&M activities for a long service life.
- Proposal of rational road plans by considering the analysis results of traffic volume surveys, estimation of traffic volume, and quantitative evaluation of the effectiveness of maintenance.
- Implementation of a safe and comfortable traveling environment for all types of road user such as cars, pedestrians and bicycles through planning/design/construction plans for structures (e.g. earthworks, bridges and tunnels).
- Support for effective road maintenance works through implementation of management plans/inspection works/preparation of design for repairing road tunnels and embankment slopes.
Urban Management and Architecture
We possess the vast expertise required for urban management, and address the needs and challenges of society that include a low birth rate, aging population, regional revitalization, and post-quake reconstruction, in order to assist the development of safe and pleasant communities.
- Proposal of town development plans linked with the implementation of “Compact City” development, including planning and design of urban facilities (e.g. parks, amenity facilities around train stations) considering the urban landscape.
- Planning/design of high-quality public facilities (e.g. government buildings and schools).
We aim to formulate safe and reliable traffic plans and transportation management plans that include the development of an information delivery system for managing road traffic and a relief supply distribution system at the time of disaster.
- Preparation of traffic facility plans and traffic management plans by considering the traffic impact on all types of user such as cargo vehicles, cars, bicycles, and roadside residents.
- Creation of traffic management plans that enhance the smooth and safe movement of people, materials and information.
- Improvement of the road environment through implementing countermeasures to mitigate the impact on the natural and living environments and proper operation and maintenance (O＆M) activities.
- Analysis of traffic accidents and congestion by utilizing big data analysis, and preparation of traffic plans and disaster prevention plans based on the results of analyzing traffic flows during a disaster.
PFI and PPP
We offer extensive experience and knowledge on the PFI and PPP businesses to propose the development of public facilities in order to provide higher level, economically competitive public services.
- Proposal of public facility/land utilization projects to effectively utilize government buildings, educational/cultural facilities, and public housing.
- Provision of higher quality services in public works and reduction of the public burden.
We prepare proposals on the optimal bridge type based on convenience for users, safety against natural disasters such as earthquake and typhoon, harmony with nature and the landscape, and cost reduction. We also prepare plans to extend the life of a bridge and O＆M activities for the bridge.
- Proposal of rational bridge plans and design by utilizing the latest technologies.
- Performance of inspection/investigation/repair works/reinforcement design in order to extend the service life of bridges and prepare maintenance management plans.
- Preparation of technical proposals on structures under special conditions by utilizing unique technologies and the latest findings.
We expand our technical expertise to provide professional services for railway projects, including planning of the three-dimensional design of railway systems in regional cities and preparation of railroad crossing improvement works which are promoted by the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport.
- Preparation of technical proposals for the three-dimensional design of railway systems to contribute to smoother transportation in urban areas and to resolve the splitting of communities, evaluation of project effectiveness, review of early detection of project effectiveness when the construction is carried out in several stages, and proposal of station layouts.
- Proposal of the three-dimensional design of existing traffic systems (e.g. trams).
- Planning and design of railroad crossing improvement works such as widening the road at a railroad crossing section.
- Study on the impacts caused by river improvement works (e.g. construction of embankment for a railway bridge which crosses a river channel) and proposal of countermeasures to mitigate the impacts.
Environmental and Social Sector
Information Technology and Disaster Prevention
Through planning and design of telecommunication facilities, we achieve the high-level utilization of disaster prevention infrastructures and social infrastructures. In addition, we continue to formulate countermeasures against large-scale disasters by considering structural and non-structural measures such as conducting risk analysis and preparing a wide-area disaster prevention action plan.
- Planning/evaluation/design of telecommunication facilities and information systems that enhance the high-level utilization of infrastructures (e.g. a road tunnel telecommunications facility, a control and processing facility for dam management, telemeter/warning facilities, and river information facilities).
- Design of comprehensive disaster prevention information systems that enhance the information-sharing activities among various organizations and cover a much wider area to gather information during an emergency.
- Analysis of earthquake risks, study on flood timeline, and formulation of disaster prevention plans assuming a large-scale and wide-area disaster based on a plan for promotion of the development of a tsunami-resilient community.
Geology and Geotechnical Properties
We provide technical suggestions on appropriate geological conditions necessary for the construction of civil engineering structures, and propose approaches to reduce geological risks at each stage of civil engineering projects that cover planning, design, construction and O＆M activities.
- Suggestion of planning and design conditions for formulating effective disaster prevention and mitigation measures by properly understanding the characteristics of geology and geotechnical properties.
- Proposal of countermeasures to mitigate the risks caused by the modification of geology and groundwater.
Environmental Management and Energy
In order to promote infrastructure development and improvement with minimal impact on the natural environment and living environment, we propose solutions to a wide range of environmental issues by utilizing advanced technologies. Also, we provide professional consultation services and support to commercialize the utilization of various renewable energies, and support for the recovery from a disaster as well as the revitalization of communities.
- Resolving a wide range of issues in environmental management by conducting investigation and analysis of the natural environment and living environment and preparation of an environmental impact assessment.
- Proposal of research and planning for conservation of the natural environment by developing and implementing advanced technology.
- Support for the implementation and commercialization of renewable energy taking into consideration feasibility and self-sufficiency after a disaster, proposal of smart community plans for further industrial development and revitalization of a community.
Key Technologies: Building Smart Communities
We provide appropriate technologies and human resources in a timely manner for the efficient and effective implementation of public businesses.
- Provision of technical assistance for contractee by CM*.
- Analysis of the methods used as the cost estimate standards of public works, and investigation/analysis of materials, unit prices, and miscellaneous expenses.
- Assistance for the development of institutional design including the procedure of contractor selection for public works.
* CM (Construction Management) is a method in which a construction manager (CMR) manages a project in a neutral way as a contractee’s assistant and agent.
Resource Circulation Management
We provide comprehensive professional technical services based on extensive experience with waste and soil contamination management, including investigation/analysis of existing conditions, study on countermeasures, and conducting post-event environmental impact monitoring.
- Provision of technical support on waste intermediate treatment and recycling projects in order to create a recycling-oriented society.
- Support for projects related to final disposal sites which have little impact on the environment.
- Preparation of countermeasures for illegal waste dumping, and study/planning/design of pollution purification.